Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spring ahead: Time to Spruce up your Outdoors for Spring!

Can you believe that in 13 days daylight savings begins again?  It feels like yesterday that I was just toasting the New year and taking down the Christmas tree.  

For me, Spring starts as soon as daylight savings begins.  More daylight means more time outside in the sunshine, and one of my favorite things to do is to enjoy the extension of the spaces that we create right in our backyards.  

Many of my clients like to do small changes and additions to their homes with the changing of the seasons, and look to me not only to create the design, but also direction on what they should be focusing on as each season approaches.  So here's my tip for Spring: now is the time to think about how to make your backyard areas functional, fresh, and fun!

When well designed, backyards are a great area to relax and entertain.  

Here are just some of the outdoor spaces I've helped clients design over the years.


  

I love creating a outdoor space that has appeal, whether its great lines in the furniture pieces themselves, a welcoming cushion or a surprise burst of color or design in the pillows.


I always pull from the natural landscaping and its many shades of green.  I find that the color green coordinates beautifully with rust, red, blue, teal, and yellow.



Concerned about wear and tear of the materials?  Well I'm here to tell you, outdoor fabrics have come a LONG way, baby!  Not just in durability, but they now have style and endless options: Fringes, tassels, cordings...you name it, they have it.  

When searching for fabrics for the great outdoors my top priorities are:
Durability and breathability
Fade and mildew resistant
Stain and weather resistant*

*It always best to cover or give your cushions shelter in the off season to extend the lifespan in conjunction with the right material selection.  



One of the most dramatic design elements I love creating to really dress up an outdoor space is adding outdoor draperies!  They transform patio areas and add a bit of chic glamour, and who doesn't love a little escape in their everyday lives.




The final element I always take into consideration are container plantings.  They are the perfect finishing touch - and a little goes a long way!  One of my favorite places to get inspired for spring is Every Bloomin Thing, located in Atherton, CA.  They have a wide selection of seasonal container planters, and everything that they design oozes with style.  I love designing alongside their staff, they are always friendly, professional and fun to work with.



Wishing you lots of sunshine and free time to spend enjoying the great outdoors right in your own backyard this spring!  Feel free to drop me a line if you would like me to help you get your home ready for the sunny months ahead.  julie@juliemifsuddesign.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin