Saturday, January 14, 2012

The San Francisco Decorator Showcase

There are a few things that mark a new year in San Francisco.  The first is the distinct absence of snow followed by gorgeous sunny days and fog-free nights.  The second, for an interior designer at least, is the anticipation of a new Decorator Showcase House, and the hope of being chosen to design a room.

This year showcase house is at 2020 Jackson.
Fun Fact: This is the second time this particular home
will be featured in the Decorator Showcase.
Though I did not pitch for a room this year due to my busy client schedule, I do admit I love taking a sneak peak at the homes each year, and every time I do I can't help but to think back fondly of the year I participated in 2006.  

My main goal, like any other designer who has had the honor of participating, was to make my room unforgettable. I knew I needed to collect the perfect elements and create the feeling of a space that was delightfully unexpected.   

The space I was so honored to adorn was the Second Floor Family Bath.  My concept was "Where French Country meets forward-thinking lighting designer, Jim Misner."  If you know anything about my design, its heavily inspired by travel, Provence and the Mediterranean.  

Vintage prints, meandering vines and beautiful repurposed
garden urns always add an easy elegance to a space.
If you know anything about Jim Misner, his lighting designs are nothing less than a work of art, something I consider to be wall jewelry for the home.  


I knew his truly exquisite designs would be the perfect feature for this pretty bath.  




Pulling in one high-end element such as Jim's lighting, quickly becomes a slippery slope of perfection.  Once the lighting was chosen, designing the other elements that could stand up to the glamour became the next challenge.  Fortunately, the solution lie in my team of amazing artisans that I often use on my client projects.  

For drapery and any soft custom goods there is no one better than the meticulous Susan Chastain.  There is a reason you will see her name in conjunction with nearly every designer in the showcase house.  Its because she is amazing at what she does!  No one can construct a stunning window treatment like Susan Chastain can.  The beauty she was able to achieve in my bathroom with my window treatment and shower curtain (which was decadently detailed in a box pleated, leading edge ruffle and detail welt) was inspired, and truly showcased how luxury can be achieved in any size space when you pay attention to the details.  


 After I had found the perfect team for the lighting and window treatments I knew that I had to take the application of the paint in the space to the next level.  Nicolai Larsen was just the person for the job, and the design solution was having a rich, beautiful, hand-painted ceiling.  



I love embellishing ceiling elements.  Not only is it unexpected, its easy to maintain -- even in a busy family home!  Little hands can't reach so high as the ceiling.  So if you are looking to add a little drama to a space that will withstand the test of time, apply a custom finish or treatment to a ceiling for a wow-factor that everyone can enjoy!  

The final finish detail that added a luxurious, old world, yet timeless and clean feel was the tile I chose for the space.  With all the embellishing details I designed into the ceiling, lighting and fabric treatments, I knew that for the tile less would be more.  For the baseboards, backsplash and shower walls, I opted for Carrera marble, using varying sizes of the subway tiles, punctuated by pencil liners in the same material and set in a running bond, with the master work of Artistic Tile and Stone.  The result was subtle and striking.  And incorporating the Carrera into the custom designed vanity piece was understated and decadent at the same time.  

The end result was a perfect shared retreat for family and guests.  A bit of French Country, a la high-style, in the middle of the city.  

Good luck to all those participating in the Showcase this year.  The drama won't be only limited to the final design:  watching rooms blossom in a matter hours, after months of work, witnessing how problems were solved (I saw 6' tall pieces of art fall down the stairs -- OH MY!), were just a few of the twists and turns I relished and cringed at as the house was transformed into a dramatic grand finale that concludes with a designer feast for the senses that is worth the all applause, attention and most importantly, the effort.     

To take a peek at this year's showcase house, (I highly recommend the opening gala), visit www.decoratorshowcase.org.  All proceeds go to benefit San Francisco's University High School.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin